Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Potato Soup Recipe


I just noticed that I haven't posted my Potato Soup Recipe.  I have to be honest, I could eat this every day and never tire of it!  In fact, the entire family loves it that much!  I made it last week and served it with homemade foccacia bread and a salad.  It's a great winter meal.

Potato Soup:

6-7 medium sized potatoes washed and cubed.  (You can also peel the potato...they are NOT peeled in the picture above.)
2-3 stalks celery coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup diced onion (any kind works)
1/2 cup diced ham or bacon

Place veggies in a stock pot and cover with water, until about 1/2"-1" of water is over the veggies.  Heat to a rolling boil, turn down and simmer covered until veggies are very tender.

After the veggies are tender take a hand held potato masher and mash the vegetables a few times just enough so that the potatoes are smaller chunks...not completely mashed.

Add 3-4 chicken boullion cubes
1 tsp. pepper
more salt if you wish, but be careful since the boullion has tons of salt in it.
1 can evaporated milk
1 can cream of celery soup

Again heat thoroughly and add water if you think it needs it.
To thicken you can add a thickener such as flour or cornstarch...I never do this as my bread and crackers tend to thicken it enough anyway.

Garnish with shredded cheese and scallions.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment