Monday, April 11, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe



I made Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner last weekend and realized that I've never posted the recipe on here.  I wish I could take the credit for such a great recipe, but I have to give the credit to my friend, Peggy.  She shared it with me about a year ago and I've made it several times since.  We all really like this soup and since I have a stockpile of Rotel and usually have cooked frozen shredded chicken in my freezer it's easy for me to make it quickly.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

4 T. Butter
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 C. flour
Saute` these together until you get a thickened paste.

Add:
2 cans chicken broth  (I use 16 oz. of water with 2 chicken boullion cubes)
4 C. milk
1 can Rotel drained
14-16 oz. Velveeta (I use 16 oz. shredded cheddar cheese)
1 can corn drained (I use frozen corn...it cooks while simmering)
2-3 C. chopped cooked chicken (I usually only use 11/2 to 2 Cups chicken)
1/2-full package dry taco seasoning.

Stir all ingredients together gently and simmer until done.

***Cut an entire pkg. of Tortilla wraps into bite sized squares (using my pizza cutter) and use them in the soup in place of crackers.  Hence the name "Tortilla" soup.

****I've made changes to Peggy's recipe to better fit my normal stockpile.

No comments:

Post a Comment