Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thrifty Thursday...Succotash & Meatless Dinners



Last night I made one of my favorite dinners.  While I was making it I decided to grab the camera and snap a photo of it to share with you today.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to take the photo early enough to show the step-by-step process of making it, nor did I put the food on a beautiful platter, but you can at least see the finished product in the above photo.  Colorful, isn't it?  :)
So, this is my interpretation of Succotash...it's not quite like Silver Dollar City's Succotash, but I like this just as well if not better!
The reason I wanted to share this with you on "Thrifty Thursday" is to de-bunk the idea that we always have to include meat in our dinners.  This dish has no meat, yet it is filling and healthy.  Cutting meat from your dinner even by just one meal per week is just another way to stretch your grocery budget...beyond using coupons!

This dish cost me very little out of pocket to make.  Here's the break down of the ingredients and what I paid for them:
Sweet Potatoes:  .33 cents per pound (at Aldi this week...I used about 1 pound)
Asparagus:  .99 per frozen bag ( I used half a bag)
Onion:  .69 cents for 3 lbs.  (I used half an onion)
Red and yellow Bell peppers (FREE from last summer's garden)
Corn:  .25 per can w/coupons last fall (I used half a can)
Veg. Oil:  Pennies (I used 2 Tbsp.)
S&P:  pennies

 Basically, I just sauteed the onions, added the rest of the ingredients and cooked on med-low until done.  Super easy to make, full of vitamin A and friendly on the budget!  You could add diced chicken, ham or some bacon to this as well!  I've also used white potatoes half and half with the sweet potatoes, but right now I'm out of white potatoes.  This was still very good just as is.

So, question...What kind of meatless dinners do you cook for your family?  Please share in the comments section below!

3 comments:

  1. heather, i have the silverdollar city succotash recipe, i will send it to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cook Heuvos Ranchero - with eggs, rice and tomatoes. We also enjoy lentil tacos, pinto beans and rice, bean and cheese burritos, corn chowder, and veggie soup.

    ReplyDelete