Friday, April 1, 2011

Ask Me Friday...Your coupon questions answered!



Today's question is is one that I get from several people so I thought I'd put it on "Ask Me Friday" today.  Just recently I was asked again...

How long did it take you to really get the hang of this?


That question is primarily asked because the person asking the question wants to know what they can expect for themselves!

My honest answer...

It took a good 6 months for me to fully understand the "ins and outs" of each stores policies and how coupons worked at each one.  (I was self-taught so I'm really not sure what's typical of other people.  Also, I learn more "hands-on" and we all learn differently.  It might be more or less time for you.)
That being said...It took me about a year to understand that I didn't have to do every sale that was out there and to see some of the sales cycles, etc.!

Beginning couponers usually have a season that I've termed as "the coupon high."  This is the season where they are excited and think they HAVE to catch every sale, use every coupon, clip every coupon, be on every blog all day so that they don't miss a deal, etc.  Truth be told...YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING!  All sales will come back around and if you  miss something, IT'S OKAY.

1. Start small.
2.  Stick to you budget.  (Remember the first thing you should be doing is figuring out what your budget is for shopping.)
3. Slowly start building your stockpile according to things you need and will use that you have and don't have coupons for. (Learn what the rock bottom prices are so you know when to stock up.)
4. Start planning your menu around your stockpile and sales.

When you learn to do all these 4 things and learn that you don't have to shop all of the time...that's when you'll "Finally have the hang of this" and be a smart, effective couponer!

Have anymore questions?  Feel free to leave them in the comments below and I'll answer them!

No comments:

Post a Comment