Friday, June 10, 2011

Savings By The Room....15 Ways to Save Money in the Kitchen

Retro Kitchen Canisters


This particular room is probably the easiest room in the house to start immediately saving money in.  Let's jump right in!  I didn't list every possible way there is to save as I literally found TONS of them, so if you have a suggestion please leave a comment below!




  • Coupons are useful when stocking your pantry. Avoid brand loyalty whenever possible. However if you or another member of the family is dedicated to a brand product, use coupons to defray the costs of that item. Try stocking up whenever the item goes on sale and you have coupons. Get it for as cheap as you can when you stock up.
  • Use the pantry method for grocery shopping. Figure out what groceries you use and stock up whenever those items go on sale. Avoid buying your standard grocery items at full price.
  • Run the dishwasher when it is full and run it during "off peak" hours....normally late evening or early morning.
  • Cook as many items from scratch as you can.  I make my pizza crust, several breads, muffins, cookies and most of our meals from scratch.  Most items like flour, sugar, etc. can be bought at a better price in bulk....unless of course, you have a coupon for it! ;)
  • Be careful about how many kitchen appliances/utensils you have.  Don't think you have to have the latest and greatest appliances or tools in your kitchen.  If it doesn't fit in your budget save up for that cool appliance that you want!  In the meantime chop, cut and dice by hand!
  • Fix leaky faucets
  • Use your leftovers!  I know so many people that won't eat leftovers.  Frankly, this is something that I just don't understand.  I believe that we're to be good stewards in EVERYTHING that the Lord has provided for us.
  • Drink more water.  This is a hard one for me since I really like my soda.  I'm trying to cut back on it and drink more water.  Just think of the savings!  Not only will it save you money, but it's healthier too....possibly saving medical bills later.
  • Eat together as a family....I know this is hard in our fast-paced world.  However, not only is this healthier for family unity, but you'll actually save money by not having to re-heat meals throughout the evening.
  • Use the crock pot.  I use mine a lot in the summer so that I don't heat up the house by plugging it in on my deck outside.  I also use it on busy days so that I'm not tempted to get carry out food.
  • Teach your children to eat what you cook.  (No flames here please...)  Reality is that you'll spend more by purchasing what we call "kid friendly foods" then having everyone eat the same thing.  Most "kid friendly" foods consist of pre-packaged, not-so-healthy foods anyway!  Also, you'll spend more time and energy (electricity) preparing multiple items to fit everyone's preference.  There's so much etiquette that goes into this also, but that's another post perhaps for another blog!  :)
  • Keep the refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible.  Don't stand with the door open staring in...(something my boys are guilty of).  Get what you need and close the door back.  
  • If you wash dishes by hand and have a 2-sided sink.  Wash in one side and run the other side full of water to rinse rather than having running water.  You'll use less water this way.
  • Think outside the box!  Example:  One of my favorite things to do is to save the heels from bread instead of throw them away.  I dice them up and throw them in a gallon Ziploc bag in the freezer.  Once the bag is full I make homemade croutons with them.
  • Make homemade detergents to wash and clean with.  I'll post a list of these later on.




No comments:

Post a Comment