Monday, December 13, 2010

Yummy Quiche

Spinach Quiche

I made Quiche for dinner one night this week.  It was so yummy!  My whole family loves this...even the 4 year old!  This is one of those recipes that when I take it somewhere I'm always asked for the recipe. :)

*At the bottom of this page I've shown how much this dinner cost me to make this week!

Pie Crust  (for 1 Crust): (I doubled this recipe for my Quiche since my casserole dish was a bit longer.)  I usually use a 9" pie plate for this.

1 C. All purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C. plust 1 Tbsp. veg. shortening
2 Tbsp. water

Cut in all ingredient using a pastry cutter until it's all crumbly.  Form into a ball and roll out to desired consistency.
Place in desired baking dish, make pretty by form a nice fluted edge.

Quiche:

1 Can Evaporated milk
3 lrg. eggs, beaten
2 T. All Purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
2 C. chopped spinach OR chopped broccoli (I used spinach )
1/2 C. chopped red bell pepper
Optional:  1/2-1 C. finely chopped ham or crumbled bacon

Mix all ingredients well and pour into prepared casserole dish.

Bake at 350 degrees until done.
**Note:  I have to spread this mixture into the dish to get it evened out.

What did this cost?

The Crust...
I really can't price the crust since I don't have recent receipts on those products used.  However, I did get 5 lbs. of flour for only .77 at PriceCutter.  Salt and water are very minimal expenses.  I truly don't know the price of the shortening (I bought it at Aldi), but it's minimal as well.

The Quiche...
1 can evap. milk = free at Dillon's with my coupons
3 lrg. eggs = 2 doz./$3 minus $2 off 2 doz. coupon I had = $1 for 24 eggs = .12 cents for 3 eggs!
2 C. cheddar cheese = $1 at Dillon's on a 3 day special
2 T. flour = pennies
salt = pennies
pepper = pennies
2 c. chopped spinach = I got a bag marked down for .99 cents and used about half = .50 cents
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper = free (it was from my garden)
Total price = $1.62 + a few pennies(for the flour, salt, pepper & shortening)!

No comments:

Post a Comment