Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Owls...Why I love them and why they're important to Spot My Eye Savings!

Completed Project: Leather Owl Bag Picture #1

I couldn't pass this one up!  Owls have been the theme of Spot My Eye Savings ever since this blog started.  Some of you know my "how I started couponing" story, but some of you don't.  Here's my story:

In early 2005 I was diagnosed with a life-threatening blood disorder called Hypereosinophilic Syndrome.  We were also in the process of adopting a child during this time so as you can imagine, finances were TIGHT!  Fast forward a few years....we had completed the adoption process welcoming a beautiful baby girl into our family.  We were also still trying to figure out this very complicated and rare disease that I had been diagnosed with.  Money got even tighter!  I was doing my best to make ends meet financially.  My husband was working long hours and even doing some side jobs at home.  We had started budgeting better, but no matter what we did we had more money going out then we had coming in.  We didn't know what to do, but I knew Who to go to.

In James 1:5 Scripture is telling us that we can ask for wisdom...

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


I remembered this Bible verse and decided to ask God for wisdom in the area of finances.  I don't remember my specific prayer, but I do remember asking for that!  I knew that I didn't know everything there was to know about finances then...and the more I keep learning the more I've learned that I still don't know everything yet!


The next morning after that prayer I read on line about a friend of mine that was saving big bucks on her grocery shopping.  She was kind enough to invite me over and show me a few pointers on shopping with coupons.  From there I went home and learned the rest on my own.  I spent many hours scouring anything and everything I could find about coupon shopping.  I read TONS of information and after many months decided to start sharing what I had learned with others.  


When designing this blog I chose to go with Owls because they represent wisdom...the very thing that the Lord was so gracious to give me when I asked for it!  He continues to give me more wisdom in this area and I'm growing in knowledge of other ways to save money beyond coupons! 


So, as long as I have the blog you'll see little craft posts that feature owls from time to time!  They remind me of why I do what I do and well, I like them too...they've kind of grown on me!


Want to learn how to make the Leather Owl Bag pictured above?  Here's a great tutorial with step-by-step instructions!


Why Spot My Eye???  Find the answer to that question HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment