Tuesday, September 20, 2011

True Moment Tuesdays: Thou shalt have no Mums....

Hardy Mums
Photo Credit: Love to Know Garden

The weather is changing and Autumn is knocking on my front door!  I love this time of year!  I love everything that comes with it...cooler temps, bonfires, colorful leaves, harvest moons and of course, MUMS!  Every September I go out to a local farm and purchase mums to put in my front yard.  Yes, I could plant perennials, but that's not the point of this story! ;)

Last year was like no other year...except one small thing.  I didn't have money in my budget to purchase mums.  One day I headed out to buy my mums anyway...I'm a little hard headed sometimes!  I spent several minutes picking out the mums that I wanted and that's when it happened...
I heard that Still, Small, Voice that I've come accustomed to knowing over the years.  The voice of God that speaks so soft, but so strong to your heart.  Do you know what I'm talking about???
We had quite the conversation in the Mum patch that day.  It kind of went like this:

God:  Why are you buying mums?
Me:  Because I like them and buy them every Fall.
God:  But you don't have the money in your budget.
Me:  So...I want them anyway.  There's always ways to come up with money!  (Ha!)
God:  Why do you want them?
Me:  Hmmm...(God made me think)...Hmmm...Because they will make my front yard look pretty!
God:  Pretty for WHO???
Me:  Hmmm...(He's making me think again)...The neighbors!  :)
God:  Why do you care what the neighbors think of your house?
Me:  Hmmm...(I had to think some more)...Because it reflects who I am.
God:  Who are you?
Me:  (more thinking...)  I'm Yours, God.
God:  Do YOU reflect who I am???  

Okay...you can kind of see where our conversation was going.  After thinking A LOT more I put the mums back  and went home empty handed.  I knew that God said "NO" to the mums.  He knew that the motive of my heart wasn't right.  I called one of my friends and told her my "mum story" and asked her to keep me accountable to my decision.

It was really hard to leave my landscaping empty last Fall, but that emptiness was a constant reminder to me of what God had taught me that day.  He taught me that "things" can get in the way of who I am in Him.  "Things" aren't supposed to come before God.  My self-worth and value are wrapped up in Him alone and NOT in what I possess, look like, etc.

I'm glad that I experienced this moment with God.  I'm pretty sure that every time September comes around and I start seeing Mums I'll also be reminded of this conversation with Him.  I love how He speaks to my heart and teaches me in my every day moments!

  “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” – Exodus 20:3.



True Moment Tuesday's (TMT's) are a new feature here on Spot My Eye Savings.  Go here to see what TMT's are all about!





No comments:

Post a Comment