Saturday, September 17, 2011

Series: Becoming Debt Free...2009

It's been awhile since I've written in this series.  I've had to pause and process my thoughts before continuing on. Thanks for hanging in there with me while I've done that!

I had taken a break from coupon shopping after my sister-in-law, Kara, passed away.  I eventually started plugging away at it again and decided to start sharing what I had learned with other people.  In April of 2009 I had my first "big" coupon class.  Up to that point I had just been sharing the information with friends and family.  I never really intended to continue teaching coupon classes...it's just something that kind of happened!  :)  I'm thankful for the opportunity that I've been given to meet so many people...I like meeting new people!

During this time we were also being very convicted about our budget.  Here's an entry that I dug up out of my archives from August, 2009.

Are any of you Dave Ramsey fans? I've heard a lot about him for the last several months. A good friend of mine just finished taking his class, Financial Peace, and is letting me borrow her materials. Brian and I have been listening to one CD every evening after the kids go to bed. We've learned a lot.
Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, we're starting a new budget. I've always had some sort of budget, but nothing at all that comes close to my new one. We've also started using the "envelope system" as part of this budget. That's where you take cash and put it in an envelope and only use what's in there for that certain category of the budget. This keep the lovely debit card from tempting us from spending more. Not only that, but we actually know how much is allowed to spend on certain items. I really think this will be a good thing.
We have a goal to be DEBT FREE in the next 3 years except for our house. Barring no major catastrophe's I think this is very possible...maybe even sooner than 3 years. As we get closer to the goal I'll keep updating on here. The only thing that will be hard is actually sticking to the plan! If we can keep our eyes on the goal, I think we can do it!
If you'd like to read more on Dave Ramsey just go towww.daveramsey.com



So are you wondering how we're doing with that goal?  Since I had written that post we've had many things happen on this journey called, "Life."  The latter half of 2009 was stressful for us emotionally and financially as my health was taking a turn again...and not for the better.  


Tune in next week for the continuation of this story...I promise it's almost done!  ;)


Did you miss the previous entries in this series?  Just go HERE to view them all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment