Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: The Money Saving Mom's Budget



In November, of 2011 I was delighted to find out that I was one of 200 bloggers chosen to receive a preview edition of The Money Saving Mom's Budget, written by one of my favorite bloggers, Crystal Paine of Money Saving Mom.  I have scoured the pages of this book over the last several weeks and am delighted to say that this book does not disappoint.

I've been a fan of Crystal's blog for awhile now and love her tender, humble spirit.  Yet, she has a determination with a bit a spunk!  Her personality shines in her book!

The first few chapters are my favorite part of the book (although the entire book is a wonderful read).  She writes of the importance of setting goals, but what I like most is how she teaches us step by step how to get there.  The first chapter is appropriately titled "If you don't know where you're going, any train will get you there."  The second chapter is all about clutter and chaos.  She shows us the importance of streamlining these and eliminating them from our lives.  She teaches about time management and organization and how these two things have an impact on our budget.

Did I say budget?  Oh yes, she went in depth on the importance of having a budget.   This is something that I'm personally passionate about as my husband and I struggled with this for many years.  I love this paragraph in chapter 3:

The point is to make a budget that works for you and then to work the budget.  The best of intentions won't get you anywhere unless you also have follow-through.  You can have the most beautifully laid out budget in the world, but if you don't use it, nothing will change. 

There are a lot of worksheets provided in the back of the book for budgeting, goal setting, time management and a grocery price book.  There are also several helpful websites listed throughout the book and helpful advice on having a successful garage sale, how to plan a vacation on a budget, how to save money on contacts, how to dress your children for free...and many more ideas!

The best part about this book....Crystal and her husband Jesse are graciously offing every single penny made on this book to support  Compassion International- an organization that helps to feed and clothe needy children around the world.


I wanted to pause here and just give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to Crystal for writing this book.  I love that it's written in a format where everyday, ordinary people can pick it up and understand it.  I love her passion for helping people get on the right track toward not only financial freedom, but also personal contentment no matter what their income.  I also love that she has a passion to reach out beyond her blog readers to meet the physical needs of children around the world.  Thank you, Crystal, for going out of your comfort zone on this project!  


Guess what I'm most excited about?  I get to give one of you a FREE copy of Crystal's book!  The first one of you that post on my facebook wall will be the lucky winner!  I'll contact you after you post!  Good luck!  Update:  This giveaway is now expired!


Remember, you can always purchase a copy of Crystal's book right HERE.  It was released yesterday nationwide.  Watch Crystal's excitement about its release right HERE.



 I was not paid to write this review other than receiving a free copy of the book. The thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment