Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Goals

I've been thinking about some of the goals I have for 2012.  I don't really make "resolutions" as I feel that I just set myself up for failure if I don't complete one of those tasks.  Here are just a few of my 2012 goals....I'll add to this list later as I come up with more!

Books to Read:


Nobody has encouraged me to read books more than Crystal Paine from Money Saving Mom.  Although I don't know her personally, I love reading her blog as it's uplifting and encouraging to me.  Over the last few years of reading MSM I've been intrigued as I've watched Crystal devour several books in a year.  I never thought I had much time to read, but this year I'm making a plan and sticking to it.  I'm starting slow with a goal of one book per month.  I'm also reading the Bible in a year and will be reading several books aloud to my daughter as well along with whatever Bible study I will be in.
The following are the 12 books I've picked to read this year.

1.  Radical
2.  The Money Saving Mom's Budget (with a book review on this blog coming soon!)
3.  Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day
4.  Sweet Deception
5.  I Kissed Dating Goodbye
6.  Do Hard Things
7.  Kisses From Katie
8.  Crazy Love
9.  What He Must Be If He Wants To Marry My Daughter
10.  A Mother's Heart
11.  Parenting With Love & Logic
12.  Have A New You By Friday


Health/Fitness:


1.  Exercise:  This is one goal I can honestly say that I'm not thrilled about.  I do NOT like to exercise...and with my HES it's even harder for me to accomplish such a daunting task.  There are days that I can barely get out of bed in the morning, days that I'm not breathing well and days that my pulse is wacky.  However, I'm hoping that if I add just a touch of exercise to my lifestyle, maybe...just maybe I'll be able to build up to being more consistent in this area.....and maybe some of my HES symptoms will improve.  Only time will tell!  So, about a month ago a neighbor of mine was getting rid of her treadmill and called asking if I wanted it.  I almost said, no, but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I needed to try.  So I'll gradually start walking and and see what happens!
2.  Drink more water and cut out more soda!
3.  Make and eat more whole foods for my family and work on cutting out all the "extra's" that we find in processed foods.  This will be a hard one as my family usually resists this type of change, but I think if I take it slowly they'll adjust.


Tackle the Clutter!


I'll continue to tackle the clutter in my home and get more organized.  This seems to be an on-going battle of mine and although my home isn't a disastrous mess it has its quirks and crannies that I need to overcome.  This year I'm finding Get Organized Wizard  to be helpful to read through.

1.  Clean out the storage room.  Collect things that need to go on Craigslist and get them listed and sold!
2.  I would love to have an area in my home designated for a craft work space.  From time to time I like to make things and it irritates me to no end that I have to drag everything out and then put it all back up. I'm hoping that once the storage room is clean I can make myself a craft corner in there!  :)
3.  Finish painting the basement.
4.   Implement this rule:  If something new enters the house, something old must leave the house!  This works well with almost anything, but especially toys and clothing.
5.  Go through all books I own that I have already read and take them to the book store to trade in for more books or cash.
6.  Go through the file cabinet (I'm really dreading this one) and burn all papers that don't matter anymore.  Set up new files for papers that do matter.
7.  Set up a daily time management system.


Financial:

We're hoping to become debt free in the next few months (other than the mortgage).  It's taken longer than expected due to unforeseen circumstances.  Once we accomplish that task we'll need to sit down and work on our other financial goals...
Just in case you're wondering we're using the Financial Peace University plan.


Spiritual:


1.  Continue being involved in my local church,  continue participating in my monthly mentoring group and monthly fellowship group.
2.  Seek out new guests that attend our church and invite them over for dinner and games.
3.  Write encouraging notes/cards to the sick and home bound in our church.
4.  Continue tithing 10% of our income to our local church.
5.  Once out of debt give above our tithe to other ministries that we support.
6.  Once Emalee's schooling schedule allows get back into my weekly Bible study group.
7.  Attend True Woman 2012!  (I'm so excited about this since TW 2010 was so much fun!)


Marriage:

1.  Go on at least one date per month.
2.  Pray for my husband daily.
3.  Save money to go on a marriage retreat weekend.


Children/Family:


1.  Continue to encourage both boys to live a life of purity.  Come along side them in this goal by reading and discussing a few books together (numbers 5, 6 and 9 in my book list above).
2.  Help boys looks for way to make extra income over the next few months.  Ex. mowing yards, yard work for neighbors, part-time job, etc.
3.  Work on teaching boys how to manage their finances.
4.  Continue working on Emalee's speech goals
5.  Begin working on Emalee's adoption "Life Book"
6.  Attend and volunteer in Korea Camp this summer
7.  Plan summer vacation
8.  Read at least 15 minutes per day out loud to Emalee
9.  Get Emalee prepped for Kindergarten in the Fall!  Yikes!



1 comment:

  1. Your goals look fantastic! Best wishes with all of them, and getting out of debt. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete