Friday, November 11, 2011

Dinner for less than $2.00! Homemade Beanee Weenee's

Beanee Weenees

As you all know, I usually try to plan my meals every week.  Well...this week has had so many things going on that I never got around to doing that!  As a result I've had to get creative for a few meals.  This is where I can say that I'm really happy to have a stockpile of food in my pantry/freezer to work with.
The sad part about last night is that I didn't have any ground beef.  I've been out for several days and really wanted to make chili, but chili is hard to make without beef!  :)  Luckily, there a store that has ground chuck on sale in my target price so I'll be getting some today!

So, I got creative.  What I made wound up tasting a bit like Beanee Weenee's.  Now, I wouldn't suggest having this for dinner often as it's not a glamorous meal, but it filled us all up and we weren't hungry any longer!  Sorry I didn't snap a photo...we ate it right after I cooked it!

Here's what I did:
1/4 onion diced ~ pennies (3 lb./.69 cents)
1 can diced tomatoes ~ Free w/ coupons
1 can tomato sauce ~ Free w/ coupons
1 can pork n beans ~ .33 cents
2 pkgs hot dogs sliced ~ .59 cents each w/coupons
1 Tbsp. Homemade Chili seasoning ~ pennies

Krusteaz Cornbread ~ Free w/coupons
1 can green beans ~ .39 cents

Saute` the onion w/a dab of oil until translucent.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans.
Slice the hot dogs into bite size pieces and add to mixture.
Add 1 Tbsp. (or more for your taste)
Stir and simmer on low for 30 min.

I served this with cornbread and greenbeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment